Randstad Disaster Recovery Architect in Sacramento, California
Disaster Recovery Architect
Monday, October 17, 2016
Our client is looking for a Disaster Recovery Architect for a 6-12 month project in Sacramento, CA.
Reporting to the Manager of Technology Services within IT Infrastructure, the Disaster Recovery Architect is responsible for assessing, designing, and managing the overall technical environment for the DR/BC program. This position will help lead the development of disaster recovery strategies, solutions, and plans, as well as ensure that the technology division is capable of executing an effective recovery process in response to a business interruption or disaster.
Previous experience managing disaster recovery technologies and strategies at an enterprise level is essential.
This position will interact with all levels of IT management and staff in the performance of duties and will work with a high degree of independence and decision-making. Highly effective leadership and communication skills to diverse audiences is essential.
Function A Title : Disaster Recovery
% of Time : 60%
· Leads the advancement of existing DR processes to the next level.
· Analyzes each business application to determine current capabilities with respect to resiliency and recoverability.
· Leads teams in the design, development, implementation, documentation and maintenance of recovery processes.
· Leads the planning and execution of effective DR testing exercises.
· Provides technical guidance including facilitation of DR-related engineering and architecture changes.
· Designs data specifications and architectural approaches to define DR capability and health for all CLIENT business applications.
· Ensures service compliance with DR targets is maintained.
· Works with business units and technology teams to ensure that DR principles and practices are embedded into business efforts and the resiliency policy is maintained.
· Ensures documentation of DR capability and compliance with targets and risks is maintained.
· Exhibits excellent communication and collaboration skills.
· Creates/maintains the overall DR Plan using an industry standard DR framework.
· Coordinates and enforces compliance with infrastructure teams, application owners, and business units on the creation/maintenance of their respective recovery procedures.
· Leads technical and functional analysis for solutions supporting several business initiatives.
· Leads the execution of various levels of testing (unit, systems, integration, regression, parallel, stress).
· Maintains good relationships with peer technical groups and other IT organizations/groups, as well as the hospital Environment Health & Safety organization.
Function B Title : Business Continuity
% of Time : 25%
· Leads the DR team and business units to categorize (tier) applications based on criticality criteria and business requirements.
· Conducts Business Impact Analysis and Systems Dependency Analysis.
· Ensures current documentation for the Technical Recovery Guides for all systems that require DR/BC protection is maintained.
· Leads the coordination of all scheduled Disaster Recovery / Business Continuity exercises.
· Ensures technology solutions align with business expectations as identified by the RTO and RPO specifications in the Business Impact Analysis.
· Leads at least semi-annual review and update of the Disaster Recovery plan.
· Ensures the development and maintenance viable Security Incident Response Plans.
· Ensures the development and maintenance viable Emergency Notification Plans.
· Leads semi-annual review and update of the Business Continuity Plans.
· Creates and conducts annual BIA process for the development and continual updating of departmental plans.
· Leads the planning and conducting of drills/exercises.
· Coordinates the debriefing following each drill/exercise and makes appropriate changes to the plans.
· Ensures the maintenance of current Business Continuity notification information.
· Ensures that all documentation and processes are consistent with the CLIENT Emergency Management Plan.
Function C Title : Project Management and Analysis
% of Time : 10%
· Plans, coordinates, executes, and manages Disaster Recovery exercises for multiple IT Infrastructure teams.
· Works independently with limited direction.
· Manages multiple exercises and other projects at the same time.
· Conducts regular project team meetings and communicates project status and action items.
· Creates and maintains up-to-date timelines and schedules.
· Identifies barriers and unforeseen risks.
· Utilizes industry standard project management principles and best practices.
· Working with customers and project stakeholders, understands constraints and impacts, creates schedules, risk mitigation, and communications plan, and executes the exercise or project.
· Escalates issues and decisions as appropriate to IT managers.
· Leads the execution teams and serve as resource for problem management and issue resolution.
· Regularly communicates progress to management and stakeholders.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
· Minimum 5 years experience in planning, designing, and executing a Disaster Recovery / Business Continuity plan based on an industry-standard framework (e.g. Gartner).
· Experience as a systems administrator or systems engineer/developer for at least 2 years in each of three of the following technologies:
o Windows server
o UNIX/Linux server
o Enterprise storage (SAN/NAS)
o Database administration
o Application development
o Data Center Facilities
· Disaster Recovery / Business Continuity professional certification(s) from industry recognized sources (e.g. Business Continuity Management Institute, Disaster Recovery Institute, Business Continuity Institute).
· Experience performing needs assessments, and making recommendations based on the discovered needs.
· Experience exercising independent judgment and personal initiative, and accept responsibility for decision and actions.
· Experience with documenting solutions in a timely manner while ensuring acceptable level of detail, data integrity, and accountability.
· Experience recognizing the need for and maintain security of confidential information; exercise judgment, tact, and discretion in handling sensitive or confidential information or situations.
· Experience working in a matrix type environment and demonstrate strong problem solving skills.
· Capability to schedule time with flexibility to handle varying workload, and still meet tight deadlines.
· Strong project management and technical documentation skills.
· Experience working on multiple projects simultaneously.
· Experience and willingness to share knowledge and expertise among various organizations within the health system.
· Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills (oral, written and presentation).
· Proficient with common office applications, including MS Outlook, MS Excel, and MS Visio